Irish Independent: Home Economics – Our property finance expert answers your questions


Marian Ryan, Consumer Tax Manager,, says your solicitor may be referring to Capital Gains Tax (CGT), which is payable on any profit you make on the disposal of an asset. There is normally a derogation given if that ‘asset’ is your principal private residence (PPR), which is generally exempt from CGT.