Irish Times: J-1 students urged to file tax returns – even if potential refunds have shrunk


Eileen Devereux of advised, “if you worked in the US prior to 2018 and haven’t yet filed a tax return, you can still claim a refund of any overpaid US tax for the last four years. So, anyone who took part in the programme in the years 2016 – 2018 and failed to claim a tax refund should still do so for two reasons – a) they can get an unexpected windfall and b) they can be US tax compliant.”