Sunday Times: Money Q&A: Make sure you get the right insurance for your ski trip


With Deirdre McCarthy – Manager at

We’re going skiing in Switzerland shortly. I’m looking at travel insurance, but I’m a bit perplexed as to what I need — or if I even need it at all — because I already have private health insurance, and a friend of mine mentioned something about an EHIC card? Could you tell me the differences in cover with all of these?

According to Deirdre, while you may be partially covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and your private health insurance, your cover won’t be comprehensive, and it is advisable to top up what you have with travel insurance that is specific to a ski trip.