Sunday Times: Money Q&A: Would a house swap be taxing for this Cork family?


According to Joanna Murphy, CEO of, selling a house means you may be subject to capital gains tax (CGT) on the proceeds. However, if the house is your only or main residence, then you may be able to claim principal private residence (PPR) relief, so you will not have to pay CGT.